Preparing for your Next Doctor’s AppointmentAugust 12, 2014
New England Baptist Hospital believes that educated patients participating in their own care will improve outcomes. By playing an active role in your own healthcare, you can get the most out of each visit with your doctor. Following are some helpful tips to prepare for your next doctor's appointment.
Be Prepared for Your Visit
- Make sure to get a referral, if your health plan requires one.
- Bring your insurance card with you to your appointment.
- Check with your doctor’s office before you go if you should bring any health records, test results, or copies of X-rays or MRIs.
Bring a Written List Of
- All medications you are taking.
- Your medical history, even if it is not related to your current problem.
- The symptoms you are experiencing.
- Any questions or concerns you have.
At the Doctor’s Office
- Be honest when talking with your doctor. This can help ensure the right tests are ordered and you are given the proper diagnoses.
- Take notes on what the doctor tells you, and be sure to ask questions if you don’t understand something.
- Ask what to expect from your treatment, what effect it will have on your daily activities and if there is anything you can do to prevent further injury or pain.
When You Get Home
- Review any materials the doctor gave you. If you can’t remember something or have a question, call your doctor’s office.
- Follow any instructions that were given to you, and always keep your doctor informed of any changes in your condition.