Spring in New England is here and for many people, that means one thing: it’s time to get back out on the golf course. Before you hit the course for your first 18 holes, prepare like the pros do. Start your own spring training regimen and get your body ready for the season ahead.
Bryan Truscott, LAT, ATC, CSCS, TPI Level 2 Fitness, Level 2 Medical Certified suggests three exercises that you can try that will help get you in shape and improve some common golf swing flaws.
Swing Flaw: Reverse spin angel during your back swing
Exercise: Trunk rotation with a weighted ball
Improves your shoulder turn swing plane
- Grab a weighted ball (2-8lbs) and hold it out in front of you, keeping it at shoulder height.
- Set your legs and feet as if you were hitting your driver.
- Rotate your chest, back and shoulders to the right while keeping the ball in the center of your chest, and your elbows straight. As you are turning, turn your left hand over the top of the ball.
- Repeat turning to the left and turn your right hand over the top of the ball.
- Do not allow your lower body to move.
Swing Flaw: Early extension and loss of posture
Exercise: Squat with ball lift
Great for leg strength and power
- Start by standing with your feet about shoulder width apart and your toes pointing straight ahead.
- Hold a weighted ball (2-8lbs) in both hands down at your waist.
- Start to squat down by hinging at the waist and bending your knees. As you are squatting down, raise the ball up over your head.
- Make sure your knees don’t pinch together, and keep your feet flat on the ground.
- Keep your trunk upright.
- Use your glutes to drive your hips forward to return to your starting position.
Swing Flaw: You sway on your back swing, or slide rather than rotate on your down swing
Exercise: Hip Flexor stretch
Good for hip mobility and rotation
- Start in a half kneeling position with your right knee on the ground and your left knee bent up in front of you. If you can’t kneel, try placing your left foot on step or bench.
- Shift your weight forward while keeping your trunk upright.
- Once you feel a stretch in the front part of your right hip rotate to right for 5 seconds then to the left.
- Repeat this with each leg down 5 times.
If you are interested in an individualized program to get you in shape for the season, consider the NEBH Golf Performance Improvement Program, with group and individual strength and conditioning sessions available. Visit nebh.org/golf for more information.